RBS adopt a data-driven approach to energy management
In 2016, RBS was searching for a comprehensive approach to managing energy performance and environmental reporting. The company aimed to:
- Reduce energy consumption and cost
- Improve data quality and reporting accuracy.
- Improve engagement with both internal and external stakeholders
RBS was looking for assistance and tools to enable them to adopt a data-driven approach, the back bone of which would be reliable and robust data. Their incumbent systems and approaches which included a reliance on spreadsheets, multiple data systems and suppliers, were leading to slow reporting and problems with data integrity.
- Banking & Financial Services
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc (RBS) is a UK-based multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in Edinburgh with circa 2,776 sites in the UK including retail branches, data centres, processing centres and offices. RBS has made great strides in their goal of being a sustainable bank and been the recipient of numerous awards, such as Sustainability Team of the Year in 2017 and specific recognition for their staff engagement programme.
The solution: An innovative partnership
RBS’s challenges were addressed using an innovative combination of a dedicated services team using industry-leading data and analytics software.
EcoAct were able to offer the full complement of services but also a unique proposition: an embedded team within the RBS organisation. With this model, energy, data and reporting services are consolidated into one set of expert managers sitting in the Bank’s own team, uniquely placed to understand the day-to-day challenges and work alongside the RBS team to achieve their goals. The software platform captures and analyses data from over 5,000 locations in 57 countries, facilitating expense management, reporting and energy management tasks.
RBS’s foresight in deploying this innovative embedded service and software solution has seen improvements in efficiency and large commercial returns for RBS.
- Investment in the technology and the embedded team has realised a total of £2.4million in savings and cost avoidance during the initial 11-month period.:
- A more efficient billing validation process has resulted in over £1.8 million in billing related cost avoidance.:
- A reduction in energy consumption through more effective management of systems has supported the Bank in being on track with their energy reduction targets.:
- Insightful exception reporting has realised at least £128,000 of energy savings beyond their business-as-usual energy savings so far.:
Download our Factsheet
Enterprise-wide sustainability accounting systems can help companies to quickly and seamlessly analyse data, transparently communicate environmental results and accurately forecast reduction scenarios. Carbon software systems offer up many possibilities for collecting, analysing and reporting the right data, helping companies to achieve their specific reporting objectives.
- Selecting the correct software.
- Implementing your system.
- System management.
Download the factsheet today.