Principal Consultant London, UK
About EcoAct Sustainability Consultancy
EcoAct, an Atos Company, is an international consultancy and project developer, helping businesses and organisations to implement positive change in response to climate and carbon challenges. As a trusted advisor and partner to our clients, we simplify the challenges associated with sustainability, remove complexity, empower individuals and teams, and deploy bespoke solutions integrated into entire value chains. We exist to embed climate action as a global driver of commercial performance, delivering economic, social and environmental value.
The mission of the Principal Consultant is to contribute to the development of our Sustainability service line, to add value to our clients by developing and delivering intelligent sustainability solutions that help make sense of the sustainability landscape and the challenges presented by a changing climate.
The Sustainability Principal Consultant will be tasked with the ongoing development of our Sustainability Service Line and offerings and be responsible for contributing to the business plan and hitting revenue and profitability targets. The successful candidate will contribute to the development of the service line by focussing both internally and externally. Internally, they will develop the breadth, depth and quality of our sustainability service offering and help develop the capability of the team to deliver them. Externally, they will drive revenue and market share with existing clients while developing new clients and sectors. This will require certain demonstrable technical and non-technical skills identified below.
Professional Background and Experience
Essential background characteristics include:
• Already have a successful track record in a similar capacity or have demonstrated outstanding success in a related role and be committed to a future career in a senior sustainability role.
• Comfort with supporting the delivery and management of large business deals with FTSE 350 clients.
• Able to demonstrate success in delivering projects in a consultative environment.
• A professional, team-oriented, relationship-oriented approach to managing successful, long-term client engagements.
• Knowledge of carbon markets, offsetting and renewable energy.
• Very high standards of written and verbal communication.
Key responsibilities and deliverables are:
• Knowledge of issues surrounding climate change, including risks and opportunities, mitigation, adaptation, strategy, science-based targets and scenario analysis
• Experience of stakeholder engagement and analysis including materiality assessment, interviews, workshops and peer benchmarking
• Knowledge of sustainability reporting frameworks and indices such as CDP, FSTE4Good, GRI and DJSI
• Understanding of impact assessment approaches and techniques including water risk, climate change, biodiversity
• Working knowledge of carbon accounting, carbon measurement techniques and calculation methods for Scopes 1 and 2 and CR reporting software
• In-depth understanding of Scope 3 categories and measurement techniques
• Experience of supply chain engagement including assessment, management, assurance & audit
• Understanding of legislative requirements and their interplay, including: EU ETS, ESOS, SECR Mandatory GHG Reporting and ISO 14001 and ISO14064
• Experience and success in contributing to building teams and business lines in a commercial and profitable way
• Experience of working in a consultative manner to understand client needs and guide them to a solution, preferably demonstrated through client consulting engagements in the private sector
• Consulting on the leadership and management of change initiatives, communications, training and other support programs that will effectively prepare client staff and EcoAct employees to perform optimally
• Developing intellectual and commercial assets within the Company, with a focus on continuous improvement
• Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to manage complex project deliveries across multiple simultaneous client engagements
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to speak and present information with confidence in front of an audience, lead client workshops and represent EcoAct at industry events
• Effective writing skills, with an ability to write concise and compelling business cases and produce well-structured documents and reports
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to produce well presented, error-free results
• Proven ability to develop strong and effective long-term client relationships, with a track-record of working effectively and confidently with client executives
• Strong commercial skills, with an ability to coordinate responses to proposals, sell and deliver to new and existing clients
• An ability to create networks of customers across existing and potential clients
• Proven ability to conduct resource planning/skills assessments with other members of staff, and to monitor utilisation levels to manage optimum project staffing as well as experience of line management
• Energy, drive and commitment to supporting the team in a growing and dynamic business
• A team player with high personal and professional standards, who can mentor and motivate more junior staff
• Flexibility, willingness and ability to travel within the UK and internationally on assignment
• Additional languages would be welcome: German, Nordic languages and French
Reporting to the Head of Advisory, the Principal Consultant will be required to work closely with all members of the team, both advisory and commercial, to achieve Company objectives. External relationships are a key part of the role, with a requirement to liaise with project teams, clients, overseas offices, regulators and representatives from partner organisations.
The role will be based in our central London office with the flexibility to work from home on a 50/50 office/home working basis.
Applicants must have legal authorisation to work in the UK.
Type of Employment
Please submit your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to the form below.
EcoAct is an equal opportunities employer committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse workforce. As an Atos company, we want our employees to feel valued, appreciated, and free to be who they are at work. We welcome applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy/maternity/paternity, religion or belief, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status or any other aspect which makes them unique.