About us / the role
EcoAct is an international consultancy and project developer, helping businesses and organisations to implement positive change in response to climate and carbon challenges. As a trusted advisor and partner to our clients, we simplify the challenges associated with sustainability, remove complexity, empower individuals and teams, and deploy bespoke solutions integrated into entire value chains.
We exist to embed climate action as a global driver of commercial performance; delivering economic, social and environmental value.
We are looking to expand the UK Commercial Team with the addition of a Business Development Manager. This position would suit an enthusiastic and energetic individual with a passion for sustainability who is looking to expand their career in consulting sales.
Roles and Responsibilities
The mission of the Business Development Manager is to sell EcoAct’s market leading services to our target client base, typically FTSE 100, 250, corporates or similar across the UK and the North Europe region. The focus of the role is twofold; winning new clients and nurturing and growing existing client business through professional account management.
The successful applicant will play a key role in the Commercial team, working collaboratively with Sales and Consulting colleagues to prospect and close sales in line with team and personal targets.
The role reports to the Commercial Director for the UK and Northern Europe region.
Key responsibilities and deliverables are:
- New business: Prospect and identify new business opportunities to existing and new customers through online and offline lead generation activities
- Account management: Build effective relationships with existing clients to ensure repeat business and further penetration through identification of new business opportunities that add value
- Sales meetings: Set up and attend sales meetings. This will include attending meetings where the BDM is acting in a lead role AND a supportive role
- Quality assurance and team support: Support Sales and Advisory team members to achieve their own sales targets by contributing to and reviewing sales documentation, presentations, pitches etc.
- Lead qualification: Working closely with the Marketing team, contact and qualify marketing qualified leads (leads generated through our content lead marketing platform)
- Service development: Developing and building sales offerings in line with market requirements
- Continuous improvement: Working collaboratively with colleagues to maintain and improve sales collateral (proposals, presentations etc.)
- Customer feedback: Obtaining and addressing feedback from clients to ensure high quality service delivery and supporting Advisory team colleagues where required
- CRM: Taking responsibility for entering sales data onto our CRM platform
- Self-management: Taking responsibility for achieving personal and team targets, and reporting accurate management information in sales meetings
- Collaboration: Driving co-operation and collaboration with other functions across the EcoAct Group to maximise efficiency and effectiveness and to provide an integrated response to client needs/global accounts
- Relationships: Developing and maintaining a positive, collaborative working relationships with all other functions in the UK business and wider organisation
- Feedback: Communicating market/customer feedback and service requirements/ opportunities to the rest of the organisation as appropriate
Professional background and experience
Strong sales skills are essential, along with a good understanding of sustainability, carbon and/or energy services.
Essential background characteristics include:
- Demonstrated experience of successfully delivering sales for a business providing sustainability, carbon or energy services, or similar, (minimum of three years’ experience)
- Knowledge of carbon markets, offsetting and renewable energy
- Able to demonstrate success or aptitude for selling in a consultative environment
- Strong writing skills
- A professional, team-oriented, relationship-oriented approach to winning business and developing successful, long-term client engagements
- Successful track record of personally closing significant levels of business with FTSE 350 clients preferably within the Sustainability/Climate/Environmental Sector
- Active, hands-on approach with clients, not reluctant to cold call, travel and personally help colleagues to close opportunities as necessary
- Willingness to learn and a genuine interest in sustainability.
Personal attributes and values
The ideal candidate would possess the following key personal attributes:
- Embracing the company culture (CEFE values) and leading by example
- Entrepreneurial mentality with a driving desire to succeed in the market
- People and relationship oriented
- A strong team player with the ability to engage
- Demonstrable intellectual curiosity
- Willing to roll up their sleeves and execute
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven track record of quickly building credibility both internally and externally
- Team player, personable, social, good at building internal relationships
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards
- High energy, competitive and hungry to win
- Additional languages would be welcome: German, Nordic languages and French
Reporting in the first instance to the Commercial Director, the Business Development Manager will be required to work closely with all members of the EcoAct team, particularly senior management, to achieve Company objectives. External relationships are part of the role, with a requirement to liaise with clients and prospective clients as required.
The role will be based in our central London office.
Applicants must have legal authorisation to work in the UK.
Type of Employment
Please supply your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role using the application form below.
EcoAct is an equal opportunities employer committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse workforce. We welcome applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.