Business Development Manager - Nature-Based Solutions United States
EcoAct is an international consultancy and project developer, helping businesses and organizations to implement positive change in response to climate and carbon challenges. As a trusted advisor and partner to our clients, we simplify the challenges associated with sustainability, empower individuals and teams, and deploy bespoke solutions integrated into entire value chains.
We exist to embed climate action as a global driver of commercial performance; delivering economic, social and environmental value.
Founded in Paris in 2005, EcoAct now has offices in 5 countries and over 170 team members globally. Following the successful launch in 2017, the North American HQ is expanding, and we are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager to join the growing New York team and represent the busy Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) business unit.
Carbon offsetting, carbon neutrality and net zero are gaining momentum in all geographical areas. The voluntary market is growing rapidly as is the demand for voluntary offsetting. On the compliance side, regional and sectorial regulations are escalating, and project development is a demand from the market. The NBS business unit has been specifically developed to focus on this demand and EcoAct North America now require a Business Development Manager to manage and execute the various assignments described below.
If you have a desire to become an actor for change and experience a dynamic and motivating working environment, then this position is for you.
Roles and Responsibilities
The mission of the Business Development Manager is to sell EcoAct’s market leading services to our target client base, typically corporates or similar across Northern America. The focus of the role is twofold; winning new clients and nurturing and growing existing client business through professional account management.
The successful applicant will play a key role in the NBS team, working collaboratively with Consulting and Business Development colleagues across the various EcoAct locations.
Key responsibilities and deliverables are:
- New business development: Prospect and identify new business opportunities to existing and new clients through online and offline lead generation activities;
- Account management: Build effective relationships with existing clients to ensure repeat business and further collaboration through identification of new business opportunities that add value;
- Proposal development: Develop and manage client relationships to close deals for offsets (contribute to tenders, offers, customer visits and presentation to offer a customized solution);
- Project management: Manage closely relationship with project holders and develop a network of suppliers;
- Partner management: Manage relevant partnerships (e.g. Green-e)
- Strategic Development: Develop a strategy for growth in the North American Market for offsets and other environmental commodities (e.g. RECs)
- Service development: Developing and building sales offerings in line with market requirements;
- Continuous improvement: Working collaboratively with colleagues to maintain and improve sales collateral (proposals, presentations etc.), as well as contributing to the development of the Global NBS team;
- Collaboration: Driving co-operation and collaboration with other functions across the EcoAct Group to maximize efficiency and effectiveness and to provide an integrated response to client needs/global accounts;
- Diligence: Undertake and oversee initial and regular due diligence assessments on desk (risk assessment) and on site (site visit), followed by regular updates;
- Customer feedback: Obtaining and addressing feedback from clients to ensure high quality service delivery and supporting Advisory team colleagues where required;
- Self-management: Taking responsibility for achieving personal and team targets, and reporting accurate management information;
- Marketing Support: Contribute to marketing and communication on Nature Based Solutions for the North American Market
Professional Background and Experience
Strong business development and sales skills are essential, along with a good understanding of sustainability and carbon markets.
Essential background characteristics and experience:
- Demonstrated experience of successfully delivering business development and sales for a business providing sustainability, carbon and/or environmental commodities or ecosystem (minimum of three years’ experience);
- Knowledge of carbon markets and offsetting;
- Able to demonstrate success or aptitude for selling in a consultative environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- A professional, team-oriented, relationship-oriented approach to winning business and developing successful, long-term client engagements;
- Successful track record of building excellent client relationships;
- Excellent negotiation skills;
- Academic background: Business School or University. Specialization on sustainable development or climate policy is a plus;
- Fluent in English. French or Spanish would be beneficial.
Personal Attributes and Values
The ideal candidate would possess the following key personal attributes:
- Embracing the company culture (CEFE values) and leading by example;
- Entrepreneurial mentality with a driving desire to succeed in the market;
- People and relationship oriented;
- A strong team player with the ability to engage;
- Rigorous and organized
- Demonstrable intellectual curiosity;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Willing to roll up their sleeves and execute;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven track record of quickly building credibility both internally and externally;
- Team player, personable, social, good at building internal relationships;
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards.
- High energy, competitive and hungry to win.
The role will be based in our New York City office. However, the successful applicant may be required to travel within the USA and internationally on assignment.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the USA by the start of their employment.
Type of Employment
Permanent, full-time with benefits.
The deadline for submitting your application is close of business on Friday, March 6th, 2020.
Please apply by submitting your resume with a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role via our website